Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Tjap time

Today, I went to an Austin store I had not discovered yet: Silk Road Fabrics.  Lovely fabrics - I bought two beautiful pieces of silk to make up for an upcoming wedding in San Diego.  Two good things came of the visit besides the fabric; They had a basket of overdyed silk brocade pieces, plus the original - that got my mind going! - and they had a basket of wooden tjaps, or stamps for dyeing, made in India and doubtless used there for MANY years.  I have always wanted to try using them, so I bought a couple to try out.  Productive outing, PLUS a stop at the Austin Public Library to check out the most amazing book:  The Worldwide History of Dress.  Check it out on Amazon!  (http://www.amazon.com/Worldwide-History-Dress-Patricia-Anawalt/dp/0500513635/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274911384&sr=8-1)

No comments:

Post a Comment